AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dairy Dilemma advice-young guy starting out
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cjd12000
Posted 11/5/2012 22:13 (#2680585 - in reply to #2678209)
Subject: RE: Dairy Dilemma advice-young guy starting out

candor ny
You can look but if I can give you any advise make the feed before you buy the cows. Feed prices drive a dairy farms profit. I started in 08 and had a barn full of hay and a silo full of corn. Still.l had to buy concentrates and some silage but made it through 09 just fine. The buy feeds don't work well just look at what is going on in California. I had to borrow machinery from a lot of people to do my corn the first year just made sure it went back in same or better shape. Ie if i popped a tire I replaced it bearing went replaced. Figured if i owned it would have to pay to fix it anyway . When you look at these farms the biggest thing win for a loan to ill be land for feed. Try to grow as much as you can. This is the first year I did hmecorn and that cut my grain bill in half. Cost about 6000 to put in enough extra corn for the hmecorn but was money well spent. Don't listen to the negative bs . I went through it got told I would never get to where I am at now but I did. I wish you luck it hard to start from scratch but can be done but you will live eat and breath the farm even before you are milking and you will find resistance from all direction. When I first put in for a loan the one banker asked do you want me to look at it or just deny it so you can go to Fsa. Never did use fsa. Bought out a neighbors here last summer. Fsa denied the loan guarantee3 times before the bank decided to go ahead with the loan any way. Had vendors around here who would not give me the time of day when i needed supplies or work done but the ones that did I stay loyal to but the ones that did not take me serious come around now wanting business but i don't waste my time with them. Figure if I was not good enough four years ago why am I now
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)