AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting Video - Tandem Tractors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 12/24/2007 18:07 (#267621 - in reply to #267593)
Subject: This one?

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Louis' Double hook

Hi Ron. This is part of the old Louis Toavs collection. There are a couple more pics of some of his stuff on this page of my website: www.boysungrain.com/toavs.htm

The collection is being scattered since Louis' death. Daughter and SIL are selling it off. 8020 is gone to a local hobby farmer, ex JD salesman.

Double hookups were very popular for a time in the golden triangle, south and east of Ernie's farm. Operator rode the rear tractor on any that I saw. There were a few of them used around here also. They were not without problems. Took 40 acres to get them turned around and most of the owners admitted to getting hung up in the corner of a field when they mis-judged just how much turning room they needed. The rear tractor suffered from over-heating on the hotter days of summer. Front tractor's drivers stirred up a good portion of debris that found it's way to the radiator. The dust that the second one ate was also murder on the engine, given the sorry oil-bath air cleaners of the day, and the front tractor made enough heat to supply the rear tractor with a supply of pre-heated air that greatly diminished the cooling capacity. 4WDs replaced them with no one I ever heard of wishing for the good old days of double hookups.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)