AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is wrong with wheat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Steve in SD
Posted 12/22/2007 12:37 (#266093)
Subject: What is wrong with wheat?

Northville, SD
I have to say that I am not understanding why wheat prices aren't attracting huge acreages in the spring wheat belt. Sure the USDA uses National averages to show wheat isn't a good monetary return. But I certainly would think with the right inputs ND, Minn, and NE SD can beat the national averages by at least 50 to 75 per cent. I know I can. Are field peas in ND that much better than wheat? I would expect ND to have the largest wheat crop ever in history, but it doesn't sound like it. Field Peas and Canola and the expansion of soybeans and corn continue to surge ahead of spring wheat. This is what I keep hearing from different conversations with North Dakotans and Northern Minnesotans. I am aware of the moisture problems they can have. But new crop 8 dollar wheat looks mighty fine for the second largest wheat producer in the nation. And I know guys that stupidly kept 80,000 to 200,000 bushels of $5.00 harvest wheat for $10.50 wheat. Hey that is 10,500 dollars per load. In our area spring wheat surged ahead of soybeans. If I went for lunch with a load of wheat on my truck I certainly would take the keys with me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)