AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to love a farmer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 10/24/2012 20:51 (#2659180 - in reply to #2658841)
Subject: RE: How to love a farmer

Rivers, MB
Few thoughts.

Many farmer's identity is wrapped up in what they do. This often causes them to think of work 24/7, often because they REALLY enjoy what they do. Also, being self-employed in a high risk type of occupation makes it hard to not be all-in when it comes to farming. however, this makes relationships hard for many farmers.

So, practical tips.

Don't know if you work outside the farm or if you have kids, but if possible, go ride with him in the truck, tractor, combine, whatever. Its long hours of sometimes tedious work for him. having you along will make both of your days go better and gives you some alone time. I really enjoy it when my wife comes and rides along. Doesn't happen very often because we have 3 kids under 10 but when it does happen, its really enjoyable.

Make plans for some time away from the farm, or at least from working, once the busy season is done. Gives both of you something to look forward to.

I try to plan a date nite just before we get into a busy season like planting or harvest. And then as we're finishing up, another date nite.

Have the office (where the book-keeping and majority of farm business happens) not in your house. Gives some separation so he knows when he's at work, and when he's at home. We have a small building beside the shop as an office. Makes it easier to separate work from home.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)