AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cash for car brought up a question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 10/2/2012 06:40 (#2619141 - in reply to #2617935)
Subject: RE: Paying cash, and using debit responsibility

I remember the time I was at the tire store, had a flat fixed off a implement. Well the owner walked buy my truck, saw my bald tires on pickup. He said you need new ones. I replied I don't have the money for them right now. He turned to his guys in shop and said get 4 new tires on this truck right now. I again replied I don't have the money. He said you are good for it, you can pay me when you get it and no interest. I was young and just starting out then.
I was able to pay those tires off in 30 days.

In 08'/09' dairy crisis I was out of cash, never had a operating loan in my life. Went to local bank I dealt with for years, SIL was even manger. They wanted $95,000 equipment collateral for $50,000 loan and loan as for only one year. Interest accrued from the day I signed at 7%. I asked is this the best you can do? They said yes. Well I called a good friend in a farm credit system in Idaho, he came to my house reviewed my books and operation. Told me the only problem I had was a cash flow problem, short term.

He gave me the floating loan for 3 years at 3.5%, no collateral. I was able to pay it off in 6 months. that's when I finally felt after all those years of keeping my nose clean, paying bills. Never getting over extended paid off. I've got plastic cards, I hate them, use them when away from town. Try to use check book for every purchase that day. It won't be long checks will be a thing of the past.

This last summer I went in a hardware store mom/pop chain store( forty miles from my house). I didn't do a lot of business there, well I wrote a check for under $80, store manger give me grief over it. He wanted it on the debit card on that account because I was from Idaho out of town. I told him and his teller that it was a local account on a bank in his home town (Utah) the bank was two miles up the road from his store! I had used checks there before, this manger was new I guess?

I needed the stuff, so I put it on debit card on that account. I was pissed, found their website when I got home. Wrote a e-mail about costing him 3% on this transaction for plastic, etc. to store owner, he got it on his smart phone at bed time that Saturday night. Well he couldn't sleep and after church on Sunday, he took the time to drive to Idaho and find me and apologize for his people not understanding my account was local, and I only lived 40 miles away.

Asked me to come back to the store again please. I told him I would, as I liked the way he handled my complaint so fast, and in person. There was a man that cared about his business! And I might even use that new fangled thing called a debit card on that account! LOL We shook hands and he gave me a $50 gift card for my trouble. I just guess I getting to be a old foggy at the ripe age of 47!

P.S. I've been in his store quite a few time this summer, they have treated me great. I've relented and used the plastic card. Guess we should set up an account with them. Still like dealing with the other lumber store in Idaho (30 miles) where they can still set my order out on the steps after hours and bill me if I missed the delivery truck. What I really like is these guys are still cheaper that the Home Depots, and Lowe's that are further away.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 10/2/2012 06:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)