AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How did you choose your screen name?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

FlyLow
Posted 10/1/2012 21:33 (#2618541 - in reply to #2618100)
Subject: Choices, choices

South Texas

happycatcher,

I wanted to sort of indicate a major life interest.  My first choice was something about no till, but "notiller" was already taken and "plantingwithminimalearthmovement" seemed a little awkward.  My wife and I bought the family farm and milked for 5 years after a tour in the AF, but most good dairy-related names were taken.  Then I graduated from law school, but "flyinglawyerfarmer" rolled off the tongue like sawdust.  Oh well, I went to fly MH-53J helicopters for Special Operations, and that seemed to be the one and only unique thing about my completely unplanned and somewhat variable but reasonably interesting life.  Since any plane can fly with relative ease above 500', I tried to note the uniqueness of night vision goggle flying at 50' AGL, blacked out, comm out, sometimes completely using on-board sensors and landing within 10' and 10 seconds of a pre-planned point.  Although it retired in 2008, this machine remains the only aircraft built that can approach, hover and land at an unprepared remote site, unaided except for on-board sensors with the pilot never seeing the ground except through the sensor displays.  Yes, it's a tricky maneuver, but we did it reliably.

So, as a tribute to that amazing aircraft, flylow it is.  I hope its replacement, the CV-22, has a long and productive life both in Special Ops and in the short hop civillian world.

Take care.  Stetts

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)