AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

seeing as how I started the whole becon thread mess, here is another
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

beh
Posted 9/29/2012 11:59 (#2614509 - in reply to #2613345)
Subject: Re: seeing as how I started the whole becon thread mess, here is another

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
JK SCLA - 9/28/2012 15:03

BUT: I think what I see is in my travels north in the fall hunting, I find the further north you go the less people know about their neighbors and whom they are. Maybe some are trying to get out their shell. Have on numerous times be speaking with a farmer/landowner and ask who works this field and he has no answer or says I really don't know the guy but been living here 35 years.

Long story short, in the parish I live and farm, I guarantee I know 90+% of the farmers, and there are plenty, on a first name basis and most in the surrounding 15 mi outside.

I think you will find this to be true as you move West too. Community takes on a whole new term. Instead of farming 2000 acres to make a living, 2000 acres is a part time job due to the fact that 2000 acres of dryland won't produce enough to make a living. The population is significantly less dense. The nearest dealer of any brand from where I sit is 40 miles. I will cover an area of 70 miles from one end to the other and never load a combine. I have customers who are scattered out over 25+ miles. I work for 1 operation of any size that is contiguous. I may know every farmer within 15 miles but I may not know the guy 30 miles away that is farming a half section 7 miles from the house.

Lots of generalizations here. I am sure that not all the above holds true but it is my observation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)