AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tillage Radish in winter wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

kansasagronomist
Posted 9/27/2012 15:35 (#2611658 - in reply to #2611599)
Subject: RE: Tillage Radish in winter wheat

I have been working with cover crops for several years and I also work with a few producers that have tried this tactic before. The benefits of blending radishes in with wheat aren't always easy to recognize or put a pencil to, but they are very real. Tillage Radishes are what some people refer to as "scavengers" of soil nutrients because they can actually pull nitrogen from deep in the soil and leave it to be used by the wheat in the spring after they radishes decompose. Another benefit of the radish is its ability to root down and allow provide a channel for water and oxygen to enter soil pores. Compaction is obviously caused by the compressing of soil pores, which reduces oxygen and water to penetration in those soil layers and preventing roots from growing down (not good)....radishes can help that factor.
I will give you one piece of advice to use if you decide to try this tactic...Radishes are veryy agressive plants that will try to take over any crop it is planted with. Make sure you aren't planting more than the recommended amount (2-4lbs/acre if planted shallow, 4-6lbs/acre if planted deep).
Hope this helps!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)