AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

school lunch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RomeoOscar
Posted 8/26/2012 07:50 (#2558856 - in reply to #2557917)
Subject: Re: school lunch

"Regarding nutritionally balanced food tasting bland: hogwash"

Hog wash? No. This all depends on the "cooks". Our food tastes bland, no flavor. The :cooks" can do a lot to make the food taste better w/out adding fat and salt. It's called herbs and spices.

Yes the lunches are more "nutrtionally balanced (more veggies, less fat etc) For some kis I have a portion sized problem. For those kids that all they do is go to school, then go home and sit on their duffs in front of the tv, watching shows or playing video games, yah, smaller portions would be better. But what about those who play football, volleyball, run cross country? is that little 4 oz piece of "meat" going to be enough to sustain them from 10:30 AM to 6 PM or after, when they get home from practice? Our JR hi kids ate at 10:30/10:45 AM. I always had to send food with my son when he played football then. Poor kid was STARVING by the time he got home from practice!

Anytime you work in the public sector where government money is used there will be a LOT of paperwork and regulations.

I also used the term "cooks" loosely as they are more"reheaters" than anything. I'm not sure the cooks in our school could cook anything if their life depened on it!

On the plus side, they now have more fresh fruits and vegetable on the salad bar than ever before.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)