AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fairly Low Cost Drive-Over Grain Dump #1
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 8/25/2012 23:18 (#2558668)
Subject: Fairly Low Cost Drive-Over Grain Dump #1

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463
Mr David H Morgan got ahold of me last week while I was in South Dakota and Nebraska for a farm show and Crop Inspection Tour. Seems he wanted me to post some drawings and pictures from well over 10 years ago of my Drive-Over Grain Dump.

I have 19 files with a step by step drawings, plus a written summary of each one.
I was able to find the files and pictures in an older putor, the only problem I cannot get them to open on any of my present putors that I can work with.
I can see the written portion, but cannot Copy and Paste it, or move any other way.

So I did just one new drawing.

The pit is formed with two 24" I-beams. Set about 36" apart.
The top or drive-over portion is 12" Channel iron.
This deal had a 1995 and 1996 cost of about $2,100-
In a RE post below I will break down the costs.
Remember $2,100- in 1996 would be a lot more today.

How it was built:
#1 - In the Left portion of the drawing, the 24" I-beams are shown in Black. About 36" apart. Should have been more, like 45" or so.

#2 - The Red deal at the bottom is a 3" or 4" channel iron, flat side up. There are two of these, one at each end.

#3 - The Green deals are good sized angle iron pieces, about 4" long.
These are welded to the channel irons.
The purpose is to hold the 24" I-beams apart.

#4- The Blue deals are again 3" or 4" channel irons.
One on top at the away from the bin auger end.
The other one is not shown in the drawing. It is at the auger end. But mounted between the I-beams, and much lower. This cross piece holds the I-beams apart, and also is the support for the auger that is put in the pit.

The Right portion of the drawing:
I left the top channel iron out of this drawing. Just to make it easier to show. The smaller I-beams are notched to allow the irons.

#1 - The yellow boxes are 6" or 8" I-beams [much easier to make a box on paint as a I-beam]
These sit on top of the 24" I-beams.

#2 - The Pink deal. These are 12" Channel Iron, about 50" long. These 12" channels are for the truck wheels to drive on. There is a Grate in the center for the grain.

A few notes on construction:
Very little welding. More than one reason, but the main reason to bolt the thing together instead of welding - I figured It would not be right the first time. By bolting instead of welding, it would be much easier to change something.

All the holes were 'drilled' with the gas axe. No dull drill bits!!
To make a hole in thick steel - Don't make a O. But make a P. Start at the edge of the steel with the bottom of the P. Then go up to make the hole.

Used 1/2" bolts and flat washers.

The short auger is a Mayrath.

I ran out of lenght on the 24" I-beam before the big auger hopper. Used a plastic hopper.

Grate: It is pieces of 1-1/2" X 3" box tubing. The two ends are 3" angle iron.

The upper I-beam, 12" channel and grate are an assembly. It lifts of to get the the cross auger.

A mess in there. The first year I spent a bunch of time with plywood, sheet metal, screws, screw gun, etc to make a nice hopper - Complete waste of time. Just clean the bottom out at the end of the season.

The first picture below the drawing is the drive-over.

Next is the upper portion being lifted off.

Next to last is after the pit auger was removed. Mess, isn't it?

Last pic is the auger.

Edited by Bobby Greif 8/26/2012 06:23

(Dump-3.jpg)

(d1.jpg)

(MVC-002S.jpg)

(MVC-004S (2).jpg)

(MVC-002S (2).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dump-3.jpg (38KB - 426 downloads)
Attachments d1.jpg (57KB - 484 downloads)
Attachments MVC-002S.jpg (78KB - 598 downloads)
Attachments MVC-004S (2).jpg (80KB - 518 downloads)
Attachments MVC-002S (2).jpg (80KB - 521 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)