AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vaccination Timing - Pre and at Weaning Timing?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 8/25/2012 18:41 (#2558220)
Subject: Vaccination Timing - Pre and at Weaning Timing?

NE Iowa
We retain all our calves and feed them out. During summer have cows in 2 different pastures that are away from main farm where cows are wintered. Calves were implanted and had initial respiratory and 7 way clostridia shots before going to pasture. Got tired of hauling hay to the one group so moved them home last weekend. The other group has enough grass for a couple weeks yet before they come home. Vaccinated the calves that are at home today for 5 way respiratory, 7 way clostridia, Somnus, and Pasteurella. Will do the same with other group the day they come home. How long after this first round of shots should I wait to wean them? At weaning they will get another Repiratory booster, reimplanted, heifers Lutalyse, and wormed. Should I wait 2 weeks after the pre-weaning round of shots before weaning? Was originally thinking 3 weeks to a month but want to get the calves off the cows fairly soon so I can start feeding more cornstalks / CRP hay. Whats the ideal waiting time to make sure they build some immunity? Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)