AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thoughts from salebarn today.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Texas Papaw
Posted 8/25/2012 08:41 (#2557497 - in reply to #2556912)
Subject: RE: Thoughts from salebarn today.

Central Texas
Paul

In the same boat here. Nothing will pencil out a profit at this time, so I'm sitting on my hands also. Have some grass and hay but nothing to cost effectively supplement stockers with. Just have to keep reminding myself that over time cattle prices always adjust to feed prices, whether they be high or low. Also as with all other situations in life, both good and not so good "This too shall pass".

Like others have mentioned, at this point bred cows look like the best potential, especially the more experienced ones. These "last calf heifers" can be bought for slaughter price which declines in the November-December time frame and over the last 26+ years have always been higher the following March-August. My current plan is to start buying these old gals in November and sell them when the grass runs low next year, whenever that is.

Bottom line is it's going to be interesting the next 12 months and I'm sure there will be plenty of good opportunities during this upheaval. The key is being able to recognize the opportunity and be able to appropriately respond when it knocks.

Was told many years ago that luck is where preparation meets opportunity. Have found this to be true.

Just another 2 cents worth
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)