AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I have a Basil plant...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Dingeryote
Posted 8/24/2012 00:35 (#2555730 - in reply to #2550684)
Subject: Re: I have a Basil plant...

Michigan.
farmer's wife - 8/21/2012 08:18

any recipes you'd care to share that use fresh basil? i only have a few. :)

Cut several handfulls of cherry 'maters in half, toss in a deep skillet with 3-4 cloves of chopped Garlic and a Vidalia(Or some other lesser sweet onion) chopped fine.
Sautee the onions untill clear and the 'maters are good and runny. Deglaze with a good dry white wine, about 1/8 cup, and set aside.

Boil your salted pasta water, add Vermicelli and boil untill half done, then add to the onions/Garlic/maters.

Add a full handfull of chopped Basil, and finish the pasta by simmering untill el dente'. If you make your own pasta, finish it in the skillet without boiling.

Serve it hot with fresh Asiago or Peccarino Romano.

Goes real well with Rosemary and Proscuitto stuffed chicken breast.

Another favorite around here is Chopped cherry tomatos, chopped fresh Basil, couple of chopped cloves of roasted garlic, a handfull of gorgonzola, and a drizzle of olive oil. Mix it up and top off Crostini with it.

Got fresh fish available?
Lemon zest, chopped Basil, Garlic, Butter makes for great stuffed Steelhead.

If you make Ice cream, look on the web for Basil Gelatto.
There are LOTS of recipies for basil ice cream, but the additional cream content of Gellato pushes things to another level.
Takes a LOT of Basil, but its ridiculously good, and insane when fresh Blueberrys or Strawberrys are added.

Another pairing folks don't think about is Blueberrys(Our favorite) and Basil meat sauce.
Heat up and mash 3-4 handfulls of blueberrys(Frozen works) untill uniformly red/purple, add 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of water, a three finger pinch of Cayanne, half a handfull of finely chopped Basil, and a single pinch of finely chopped Mint. Simmer to reduce for about 10min.
Serve drizzled over, or on the side of Pork Tenderloin or Grilled chicken breast on a bed of Rice.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)