AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

triticale ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

rancherman
Posted 8/23/2012 21:10 (#2555239)
Subject: triticale ?

well,  now that the hay is pretty much up,  I know now  how 'short' I am!   So,  thinking now that we'll have a reasonable early harvest,  (I'd venture to say we've have our allotment of heat units!!!)   I'm  really considering  baling up our cornstalks.  Normally,   I graze them into the ground,  then  feed  pretty much all our hay crop on those acres.   I'll  feed  about  3000 bales on a  2 pivot  half section.   I  keep hearing about a  possible  'wet' winter: (deep snow).   That would sure make a string of  1200-1500 bales  look nice!    2-3 years ago,  I didn't  bale any stalks,  and was forced to feed all my hay early,  and  ran out of hay  when  calving started.  (but had  stalks to graze as the snow melted)  I prefer not to do that again!

Back to the  question!    If we get our corn out early,  say  before  nov 1,  and plant  at least one circle to trit,     I am  thinking of just mowing off the stalks,  and drilling right into the short stubble.      I know that could  be really pushing the limit on  planting date...  I might be able to convince FIL to plant trit on his  bean ground.   Early OCT  plant date on those acres.     The triticale  would be used  in the spring as  a   warmup before going to  hard grass.  (If it  ever rains)     

NOW  for the  actual question!     after grazing the trit,  and giving it  some time to grow back,    does it make pretty good  hay?     I'd probably go with a  short season soybean to  plant into after haying,   or   go with a   sudan grass/cane or millet  if it looks like another dry year. (2013). This is all  under pivot irrigation.   (Yes I am aware that  $8+  corn  is  in 'play' )    I also have a  very bad feeling  about what our input costs will be next year too...)       

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)