AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

thoughts on corporate factory hog confinments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Borgman05
Posted 8/23/2012 12:19 (#2554621 - in reply to #2554262)
Subject: Re: thoughts on corporate factory hog confinments

South Central, Iowa

No I don't want to regulate the industry.  I just think the big operators fail to use common sense a lot of the time and are able to swing their inventory a lot quicker with swings in the market.  Profitability goes down they drop herd size, profitability goes back up they jack herd size clear back up and want to put pigs in anything that'll hold pigs and then they leave the custom feeder to sit on an empty building when the market swings back the other way again.  

Corperate owned hogs are fine, never said that.  I've got hogs in my front yard actually, so I could care less where they put a building.  I've got custom feeders in the area, they don't bother me a bit.  They're taking advantage of an opportunity.  I doubt I'd ever go and protest a hog building being put up, that's every person's choice to do what they want with their ground and resources.  

Pigs do smell, but you get used to it and it's not so bad.  The smell doesn't usually travel too far unless there's a brisk wind or the pit is being pumped.  It helps to build them on hills, so the smell settles in to the low ground.  My buildings are all on a hill, we've got a draw on the north and south of where they're located, my neighbors a half mile away rarely smell the buildings unless I'm hauling manure.   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)