AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Goats, Cattle, & Weeds?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Howdyjabo
Posted 8/22/2012 13:43 (#2552814 - in reply to #2552754)
Subject: Re: Goats, Cattle, & Weeds?

NC
the goats will help alot-- not a cure(as in no weeds). but at least you are getting some value from the weeds and they don't get out of control as fast. Problem is that the goats/sheep eat the seed heads and the seeds stay viable in the manure. and they will graze the tops giving the plants enough umpph left to regrow. You have to have enough to graze an area down or you won't see much difference.

Hair sheep are easier to keep in from my experience (especially if they are happy eating where they are) and they have more browsing instincts than wool sheep- but less than goats. Still help my lots and pastures from having to be mowed as much. You will NEED a solid fenced area to keep them in when there isn't good grazing or they have ever small babies(when the babies slip thru a fence the mommas are going to follow)

Problem with both is that they take care to thrive- so you still need to make sure you are getting monetary value from them to be worth having them around.
Trimming feet/foot rot(don't buy it,won't have it)/predators(get a guard dog or donkey)/foot scald(give them somewhere to get their feet dry in extended wet weather) and worms are what drive people out of the sheep/goat business. they are all manageable but take effort.

the goats will be fine with the cattle minerals- some sheep can be touchy. Depends on how much copper they are getting in their feed and some breeds( ex hair sheep) are less sensitive than others.
With sheep it would be easier to rotate behind the cattle(let the cattle eat the worms and force them to eat leftovers)- and give them their own minerals.

Goats- I would go with some good old fashioned brush goats and a Boer Buck to put some size on the babies. Full blood boers are just not hardy enough (IMO) to be worth having around for weed control.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)