AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strong NC Wheat Basis
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Matt NCOK
Posted 12/6/2007 22:54 (#254259)
Subject: Strong NC Wheat Basis

Trying to convince myself to price another 1/3 of our new crop wheat @ $8.00 delivered. I'm a little spooked by the fact that there is only a $.10 basis on new crop wheat, most years it is .$40 or more. That is unheard of! Is the basis on new crop that strong everywhere? Do the commercials not share the sentiment that there is still a good chance we could raise a lot of winter wheat next year. Nothing wrong with $8 wheat, but I don't see the incentive for commercials to that aggressive at pursuing new crop. Leads me to suspect a gentile trap.

On a seperate topic, own some $6.80 March puts that we bought on the way up. We won't go into what they ended up costing, but I would like other's opinions on the odds that they could end up in the money. I give them very little chance now, money down the river , 10 days ago much more positive outlook.

They must be making a play on the $1 difference between the May and July contract. Although I never recall them pricing new crop off anything but July maybe they are.

Edited by Matt NCOK 12/7/2007 09:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)