AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

47XX scissor suspension and fixes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/14/2012 07:40 (#2538411 - in reply to #2537989)
Subject: Re: 47XX scissor suspension and fixes

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I bought a used 4720 and had/have lots of steering problems. I complained to the dealer and I was able to get them to go half of list on the parts so that helped some. I got a friend to change out the bushings and pins.

He made a jacking frame out of tubing so that he could use a standard hydraulic jack for the lifting. I beleive he used some of the techniques listed above.

Unfortuately this did not cure the steering problems. I grease them fairly often. Apparently Deere didn't feel this was all that necessary since the first 4700's didn't even have grease zerks.

I also bought a kit which was never installed that was supposed to help the steering alignment on the 4700's. The instructions indicated that the kit should not be needed on later models but it COULD be used if necessary.

The kit a had a set of shims that could be installed by trial & error to correct misalignment. There was a set of some 28 instructions to perform the realignment. You made various measurements and then picked a shim that you thought might work and installed it. The last instruction was to make the measurments again and if they were not correct to repeat the 28 steps again with a different shim.

I tried in vain to hire someone with experience in this procedure to work with me but was not successful so I still have the kit under the bench.

Edited by tedbear 8/14/2012 07:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)