AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Down corn machinery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

nefarmer
Posted 8/9/2012 10:07 (#2529956 - in reply to #2529518)
Subject: Re: Down corn machinery

NC Nebraska
Isn't a reel basically to control the "fluff" that won't feed into the machine? Maybe it's a "here" thing but we run a lot of acres of down popcorn (seems like every year we have a few fall down) every year and I've rarely ever felt I needed a reel. I'd take auto header height and row sense anyday over a reel.

As far as advice I can offer... If the stalks are leaning away from you speed the head up a little and it will "flip" the plants onto the deck plates in time. Sometimes you may even have to open the deck plates a bit more than desired to get the ear on board the head. The best way plants can fall over is across the row where you can run both directions just fine. However, you'll want to start on one end and work across the field instead of opening lands. In other words if the stalks are leaning to you left and you have standing crop to your right, the outside right row of your head will push the first row of stalks to the right on the next pass in the direction of travel-not allowing you to get as many ears on the next pass. Basically if the crop is leaning south, start on the north end and work south. Clear as mud? Good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)