AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

J&M bottom auger replacement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BHTN
Posted 8/8/2012 22:50 (#2529334 - in reply to #2529174)
Subject: RE: J&M bottom auger replacement

West Tennessee
We just changed our 16" for the second time in it's life. Even though I never seized the splines at the lower gearbox the first time we changed it, it was still stuck solid. :-( We were using a backhoe chained to the top to pull/snatch on it. Had to split the auger shaft all the way down the splines to get it out. Wasn't nearly that bad the first time. After we cut the auger shaft off then the gearbox had to have the seals replaced because oil was running out pretty good then. Bummer. If it wasn't for burning the seals we would not have touched the gearbox. They're pretty bullet proof. You need something that will reach pretty high to pull the lower one all the way out. Our forklift won't go high enough so we used the back bucket on the backhoe. Your top auger doesn't need replacing?

We've bought J&M augers from our dealer both times because I had a cart reflighted once and it shook like heck. I think our new ones were about $1,900 for both augers. I mentally added up the bushels and 10 years for us is easily over 1 million bushels so I guess that's about how long they last?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)