AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Land @ $7000 acre
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 12/3/2007 00:37 (#251555 - in reply to #251083)
Subject: RE: "Better buy while it is cheap"

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!
davpal - 12/2/2007 12:36

We sit here in the US and wonder why anybody would farm in Canada when they can go up and work in the oil sands and make $100,000 bucks a year!!! If I were a Canadian citizen I would sure look into it. Defenitly not for everybody though.

One problem for me is I am about 14 hours from the oilsands. The other problem many have is that the living cost is obscene in the oilsands area. We're talking aout McDonalds employees getting 20 bucks an hour, so they can have minimal housing, etc.
Many farmers do go to work winters, and plow the money back into their farms. For what reason? I have no idea. A few guys I know have gone never to return home, some go never to go again. My seed cleaning business is my oilsands project for the winter, and I get to stay home and see my kids, and burn wood, eat deer, elk, moose, tame and wild duck, farm chickens, and garden produce, and live cheaply. Something I don't feel can be done in Ft. McMuray. Who has the happy life, and marginally less take home after tax income? Maybe him, maybe me. Depends if it freezes, hails, floods, or how bad the mandatory CWB, screws up in selling my own wheat that I have grown.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)