AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Great Plains vs JD NT drill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

rank
Posted 7/24/2012 00:39 (#2502723 - in reply to #2501437)
Subject: RE: Great Plains vs JD NT drill

SEON
Well.......I've had a 2005 Great Plains 1510 with the center pivot hitch for 2 seasons now. First thing I did after using it to no till alfalfa into wheat stubble was replace all 192 of those stupid little plastic bushings on the row units. That took me some 40 hours. Next thing I am going to need to do is replace the 48 openers.....twice as many openers as a JD 1590 has so it's going to cost me twice as much in parts. Also should replace the 24 coulters too. By then it will have done approx 250 acres and it looks like I will need to replace those plastic bushings again ....which is a job I said I would never do twice.

I don`t like the single rubber closing wheel/depth gauge wheel on my 1510.....it`s pretty much useless as a closing wheel for no till. It also seems to be pretty tough to consistently get the openers to line up with the coulters. One pass it will line up and the next it won't. I think this is because there is too much play in the row units caused by those always worn out stupid plastic bushings.

It's also tough to get the row units to plant properly in the (four) wheel tracks. I have resorted to changing my row spacing (it varies from 6" to 9") so as to not plant in the tire tracks....that almost works.

Maybe the 20 series openers (on the 1520) are a better design than my 1510.

I do like the way the wavy coulters act as a vertical tillage pass ahead of the openers. I think that is an advantage over the JD. I hired a neighbor to drill my wheat into burned down sod a couple years ago with his 1590. The stand was ok but the trench didn't close perfectly in alot of places and the emergence was a little spotty too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)