AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No Till update Soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rHiNoBaLlS
Posted 7/23/2012 20:09 (#2502186 - in reply to #2502148)
Subject: Re: No Till update Soybeans

WC MN
First time no-tilling with the gps and row cleaners.. I tried it 2 years ago with little success. I will freely admit I was not set up properly then, especially with the planter and the plan of attack. No row cleaners, no gps, and I was trying to go into 200 bushel corn residue that was ran through a chopping head so there was a solid mat to strike through. It was also a weedy disaster as I post sprayed it all and had a lot of "flushes" come up through the year. We actually did this particular piece with a conventional roller corn head and left the stalks standing so it left not much residue in the way of the row units. Then we rolled everything after the fact and it broke most of the stalks off and laid them flat. This field also got a post plant burn down of glyphosate and Domain for residual. It was definitely a learning experience. I agree with conserving moisture. I don't think this particular piece would be holding on like it was conventional. We get dry most years. Average precipitation is around that 20" mark . Depending on which township you live in, it can be 19-22 "average". Yes, there's that much difference 15 miles apart! 100 miles East of me they run over 31" average. It's amazing what we can grow with as little water as we get. My home is 4 miles from this field in the picture. I have received over 4" total more at home than his farm has. We are definitely running behind on moisture overall like most this year. We are still blessed to have "something" so far.

Edited by rHiNoBaLlS 7/23/2012 20:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)