AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

18% wheat in storage bin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 7/23/2012 06:54 (#2501091)
Subject: 18% wheat in storage bin

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan
First half of wheat harvest was dry. Wheat was in the 11 to 12 percent range. After some rain last week the moisture content went as high as 18 percent. We went ahead and put it in the bin. The wheat is now back into the twelves. We've had the air on ever since we put in the higher moisture loads. We have full floor aeration with a good size fan.

One thought was we have enough of the low moisture wheat to blend with the higher stuff to sell 13-13.5 percent moisture wheat. But I'm concerned what affect that 16 to 18 percent wheat may have with quality concerns. Will the wheat stay in good condition until we move it? We could move it in the next month. I'm reasonably confident that we'll be OK till then. Or maybe not. Should this higher moisture stuff be OK in the bin for a month? That's the first question.

The second question.......how long should I reasonably be confident the wheat will retain good condition?

We're having 85 degree days and 65 degree nights. How much drying can we expect within the bin with the aeration fan on?

thanks for any-and-all thoughts and suggestions.

-
gordon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)