AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sunn Hemp cover crop in corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

southernokie
Posted 7/21/2012 17:33 (#2498543 - in reply to #2497967)
Subject: Re: Sunn Hemp cover crop in corn

The tissue we pulled on that date was 30-33% CP. Whole plant should do 20s and on par with good alf. I have some NDF and ADF numbers and they were low. I feel soy forage is well balance in NSC, fiber, soluble N and amino N....the same as good alf.

Mace,

The problem we face is aciditiy below 4" with or without lime incorporation 3 yrs after application. 4-8" cores are 5.3 pH 2% OM low Ca low P and I feel there is some Al toxitiy at play by looking at roots, esp in areas with poor percolation.These are 50% silt 20% clay soils. Top 4" was 4% om and very good fertiltiy and where we can grow roots. That is one reason why a heavy rye mulch can extend drought tolerance by several weeks. I'm going to remain patient and continue working from the top for several more years. If no improvement, then we incorporate 10-20T of residues+manure+lime+gyp and go back to no-till...this is how we built that poor garden soil. End goal is 0-8" high fertitliy, 4% OM optimum Ca for better 'built in drought tolerance'. Drougt recovery is very good now but the tolerance isn't there yet.

The land has been in pasture since the 60's. If you have suggestions, I would love to hear them. In this area lime and litter really pay!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)