AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tissue sampling costs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 7/20/2012 18:28 (#2496983 - in reply to #2496785)
Subject: RE: Tissue sampling costs?

Little River, TX

Midwest Labs 
PLANT TEST (COMPLETE)
Nitrogen, Sulfur, Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, Sodium, Iron, Manganese, Copper, Boron, Zincs

With Recommendations: $24.00
Without Recommendations: $22.00

MINERAL PACKAGE
Sulfur, Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium, Sodium, Iron, Manganese, Copper, Boron, Zinc $17.00
Individual Analysis (per element) $9.00

Total Nitrogen $9.00
Petiole Nitrate $10.00
Mineral Package + Nitrate Nitrogen $24.00

OTHER ANALYSIS
Carbon $10.00
Chloride $10.00
Cobalt $24.00
Nitrate Nitrogen $10.00
Stalk Nitrogen $15.00
Molybdenum $24.00
Molybdenum + Cobalt $30.00

You asked what we/I pay for tissue analysis.
I use Midwest Labs, tissue analysis for hay analysis, sample each cutting from each field, & I average the years results to monitor my fertility of the hay fields. 
Their preset recommendations are for sampling at a specific growth period in the plants development, not wild results from hay samples. 

Fortunately for me my customers are only interested in protein & crude protein is computed by multiplying percent nitrogen by 6.25.  

Their regular hay analysis with a list of feed values plus a limited listing of minerals is about $30.  The disadvantage of using hay samples is there are leaves  lost  in the harvesting process that is not encountered with hand sampling. 
I do not request Molybdenum or cobalt for my grass hay only for alfalfa. 
The amount of cobalt is so small that they require an extra large sample to have enough material to detect the cobalt. (0.10 ppm Co)  
Cobalt is important just as molybdenum is important for nitrogen production by legumes.   

This is not original with me. It was thought up by a California County Agent. Alfalfa cut for the California Dairy Industry is harvested before the usual growth stage for tissue analysis.  The normal hay Wet Analysis does not include N, S, Na, B, Cu, and maybe some others are left off. At $9 each added to the $30 hay analysis the cost can run up quickly.   

You asked for the time and I told you how to build a watch!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)