AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

strip till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 7/8/2012 14:15 (#2473510 - in reply to #2473371)
Subject: Re: strip till

Morris, IL
Do you mean like strip till for couple years and give up and go back to conventional tillage? I wouldn't give up this easy myself but you got to get through a couple bad years, maybe only switch a farm or two over and leave the rest conventional. I will also say there is a big difference this year in no-till vs. strip till, and strip till vs. conventional tillage as well for some reason. Have test plot between strip-till and conventional which will be interesting this fall, i'll be sure and let you know what we see from it. I can bet right now conventional will win but i'm not giving up that easy. Conventional has looked better all year since it emerged. Just didn't get strip-till off and going like warm chiseled soil. That said i don't think it will pay for extra tillage and probably will be opposite next year, planing on at least 1/2 acres no-till/strip-till.

I've talked to a lot of people first hand in the area and second hand from agtalk that say, once you go strip-till/no-till they will never go back. Relatives have done it for years and can grow corn and soybeans with the best of them. They started no-till everything but could get consistent corn yields, with the strip-till they don't have much trouble in our heavy wet soils. No-till soybeans they have never really had a problem with although this year looks like a different one, i'm confident long term no-till will yield right up there with conventional.

Edited by NEILFarmer 7/8/2012 14:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)