AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EVERYONE THAT ANTICIPATES HAVING AN INSURANCE CLAIM NEEDS TO READ THIS:
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

blackfox
Posted 7/8/2012 13:08 (#2473398)
Subject: EVERYONE THAT ANTICIPATES HAVING AN INSURANCE CLAIM NEEDS TO READ THIS:

Eastern Wyoming
I realize many of you midwesterners haven't had a claim in many years, if ever. So please, take some friendly advise from the "Crop loss capital of the U.S." This post will save you time, money, and headaches.

Always try to communicate via email or text msg as much as possible with both the ins. adjuster and the agent, so there is a "written" record of what is said. (make sure the texts and emails are locked and can't be erased)

Also, try to have an "witness" during the adjuster's visit, someone that knows about farming (not your 5 year old daughter!) to hear what the adjuster is telling you to do. (A father in law or neighbor will do)

I would even go so far as to email the adjuster after the visit, and have him confirm the important parts (what can be done with the crop, strips to be left, etc.)

If you are required to leave strips, you must continue to farm them as if you were trying to raise a crop.

NEVER...EVER... EVER, "ASSUME" ANYTHING WHEN IT COMES TO CROP INSURANCE... GET IT IN WRITING, AND ASK QUESTIONS UNTIL YOU TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY ARE PAYING AND WHY... AND WHAT YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DO WITH THE CROP.

There will be many, many claims this year, and the insurance companies know that.

They CAN, and WILL, look for excuses to NOT pay your claim.

Do not assume that because your "friend" sold you the crop insurance, that he will be on YOUR side if a dispute arises. He gets paid by the insurance company. He WILL lie to save his job. ( Yes, my "ex- best friend" IS a crop insurance agent.)

Insurance adjusters and agents are people, they do make honest mistakes, and they will be overloaded with claims this year, so double and triple check their figures.

Many big claims this year will trigger automatic audits, have your paperwork in order for at least the last 3 years.

In traditionally "low risk" areas, the ins. companies themselves, and not the gov't, are paying the claims, so I would probably expect them to look for ANY reason you shouldn't be paid, so know that going in.

I'm sure some on here will say I'm paranoid, and maybe I am, but my personal experience and two lawsuits (we won) have made me that way. Just hate to see anyone go through hell trying to collect on a claim, after such a bad year farming.

Good luck.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)