AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wrp rant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mj_sker
Posted 7/5/2012 13:05 (#2467989)
Subject: Wrp rant

The Far East...of Nebraska.
For those of you that farm in areas that have Wrp (wetlands reserve program) acres, does it frustrate you? The land is typically placed in a 99 year easement, so once its in it's not coming out in your lifetime. I feel like this is a great program for people who own actual wetlands and can't get any income from land they pay taxes on. However, it seems I often see creek and river bottoms get put into the program that used to be good ground. Maybe it floods occasionally, but now it's gone for a loooong time. What frustrates me is when a group of hunters or whoever pool their money up and buy a piece of ground. Then they enroll in the program, and then 5 years later they decide to sell it. Well now it's not worth much and the market they are trying sell the ground to is basically only a recreational market which isn't the strongest. So now some acres that a farmer could have made work are gone and they basically arent coming back. If they chose to a contract more like a crp length then it's not so bad.

I love the environment and doing what's best for nature, but I guess I'm not an environmentalist. Funny world we live in sometimes.

Edited by mj_sker 7/5/2012 13:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)