AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pour'n it on..............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Case IH farmer
Posted 6/28/2012 12:41 (#2454569 - in reply to #2454267)
Subject: Re: Pour'n it on..............

IL
Detroit - 6/28/2012 05:54

Case IH farmer - 6/27/2012 23:52

Detroit - 6/27/2012 19:55

I pumped almost 2,000 gallons of fuel today into irrigation engines. Will do it again tomorrow. Went through a transport load of fuel in less than a week. That's 7,700 gallons. Have another scheduled for July 1. I can foresee another $250,000 fuel bill this year. Probably more if this total lack of rain keeps up.

We sure don't irrigate for the fun of it. 36 rolls of poly pipe at $250+ a roll, keeping 4 pivots going 2 of which are towable. Monstrous fuel and oil bills plus the cost of land leveling just adds to it.

1994 was the only year we didn't irrigate. Easiest summer I have ever had.

Here, no irrigation means calling the auctioneer.

How many acres does it take to get a 250,000 fuel bill if you don't mind me asking? Or I guess a better question would be how much per acre does irrigation cost on a normal year just for fuel?

$26,000 per tanker load and on a totally dry summer like this we might go through 6-8 loads. Doesn't take long to add up. Not to mention the oil and grease it takes. Pivot tires are another expense that adds up quick.

Just under 4k acres. Irrigation expenses are through the roof but it's either do it or burn up and go broke.

Thanks for the info. I have always been curious about irrigation.

Edited by Case IH farmer 6/28/2012 12:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)