AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn population debate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

smallchev
Posted 6/27/2012 23:15 (#2453819 - in reply to #2453618)
Subject: RE: Corn population debate

sw mn
I noticed same thing last year. Planted 38k and had very good stand of 37500 where I checked. Didnt see any tip back but in august I was figuring on 170 tops ears just seemed to not building any girth to them and had a fair ammount of skips from heat during the pollination. Also had fairly high nite time temps which hurt too, and also no rain from the first of july. Pry would have had close to 200 on whole farm if we hadnt got the wind that layed everything over. We are on 22" rows and looked at a friends that is on 30" and he had a stand of 32k and the ears were close to same size as what mine were, and also had no tip back.This year stand isnt quite as good, stuff ive checked is around 34-35k. We did put more N down this year cause we feel we have been holding back a bit too much on it, just need the stuff we cant control to cooperate. After last year and how dry we were and what we saw we feel comfortable at this population and if we could get the the weather to half way cooperate should have alot of top end potential.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)