AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How dry are you?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Loren SE IA
Posted 6/27/2012 17:54 (#2453093 - in reply to #2452389)
Subject: Re: How dry are you?

Kalona, IA
I had 1.7" since I planted corn and less then 1" on my beans. Corn waist to head high but not growing much as it spends most of the day curled up. I had more hope for my July 3 rd planted beans in 2010 then I do for mine now. Mostly just 2"-6" tall and barely growing. All the corn (even organic) looks nice and green this yr. as the N never leached out like the past 5 yrs. Potential is there but if we miss the rain again this weekend it'll fade FAST !! To my South and west a few miles they have caught 2"-3" in the last several weeks that never made it here.

Was at kids baseball tourney in Des Moines over wk. end and they caught a good rain. Looked real good on way home but corn got shorter closer we got to home. From Williamsburg and east started seeing signs of drought and it got worse the closer we got to home. We had good subsoil moisture in mid May and that's what keeps us going. If only we could get enuf to get the brace roots to come out and root down.

Iowa is going to have to yield a lot more then it's looking capable of at this time to make up for the poor crops in the other I states. I predict the national avg. could very well be lower then last yr!! It's good we have a lot more acres total. Beans could be a BUST too!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)