AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power outage/irrigation problem. Local power co. had a transformer blow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 6/27/2012 15:48 (#2452894 - in reply to #2452006)
Subject: RE: Power outage/irrigation problem. Local power co. had a transformer blow

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Wow, that could hurt. I'd be looking at Gen sets before they are all rented out. I've tried to stay on top of my irrigation more because it always seems like if you get a little dry, that is when you have problems. If a guy has a pump go down or something, it sure is nice to be a week ahead with the water rather than waiting until it really needs an irrigation before you turn on. I'd rather short it on the tail end than be waiting to start water.

FWIW, as I get older I realize that a lot of what you hear is the worst possible scenario. They'll tell you it will be two weeks to get it fixed, then when they have it fixed in 6 days it makes them look good. Case in point, there is a tunnel at a mountain pass near here than needed work. It is an extra 80 miles around it, and a lot of our hay trucks go through that pass. Road guys said they were going to have to close it part of the summer. Everyone freaked out, so then they said they would only have to close it at night and for a few days. All of a sudden everyone thought that was great, had they said that to begin with they would have had a big fight about that. So maybe they are telling you it will be down for a month, when in reality it might only be a few days.

It shouldn't take that long to replace a substation, the components are around somewhere, and they aren't making any money until it is fixed. I wonder if they are under any legal obligation to maintain power?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)