AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planter set-up
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TNalfalfa
Posted 6/27/2012 15:32 (#2452862)
Subject: planter set-up

Middle TN
Thinking ahead to next spring...

This dry weather has exposed some planting concerns. I have many spindly corn stalks and after digging some up, noticed the nodal roots weren't able to break the sidewall compaction. I have a 20/20 so I don't feel like I had excessive down pressure for the depth I was planting. Granted, it was very dry and we had trouble keeping the openers at full depth across the whole field and had to run more pressure than normal. Next year, I plan on having AirForce on the planter and have already put curvetines on (after corn was done)...

I tried to plant at about 2". I don't really want to plant shallower because of crows and turkeys, but I'm scared that trying to plant deeper caused us to run too much pressure and caused the compaction.

Thoughts???

What slots do you run your gauge wheels in on a XP unit for corn. I'd like to plant 2" deep. I noticed the book says each increment is 1/4" but it doesn't say where it starts.

I measured the depth of several seeds, but never felt comfortable with the difference between checking in front of the closing wheels and reality.

Edited by TNalfalfa 6/27/2012 15:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)