AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

followup-Corn notilled in WI 042812 w new 6 row Kinze (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/27/2012 11:34 (#2452531 - in reply to #2452445)
Subject: RE: followup-Corn notilled in WI 042812 - pop up fertilizer

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Mudpie1971 - 6/27/2012 09:31 Are you sure the taller plants will translate into higher yield? I have seen greener/taller plants lots of times that do not make any more corn than the earlier shorter/yellower cornwhen the combine rolls. I am attempting to grow grain not fodder...Just asking...

That is a good question. I think there are many growers who agree the popup makes the stand LOOK better, especially early, but does not translate into an increase in yield later.

From what I have seen, whether or not popup increases yield depends on where you are and the weather.  In northern areas I think the popup is more likely to show an increase than in the central cornbelt.

And as in many things, if we knew ahead of time what the weather was going to be during the growing season we could make more accurate decisions.  Personally from WI and north and west I think a bit of P in the immediate root zone will often pay benefits at harvest.  In northern corn areas I liken popup to carrying insurance.

Agronomist John McGillicuddy points out that the maximum yield capability of a corn plant is determined in the first 30 days after emergence.  After that we can lose yield but we can't increase it. 

Someone here recently posted a picture of a young corn plant peeled open to show the miniature ear in the center of the whorl at about 30 days. So it makes sense to take the best care of that plant that you can in its first 30 days when the size of that miniature ear is being determined.

Some friends in N IL say they've tried popup and that it is not worth the trouble in terms of yield. On the other hand about every planter I work with in SD has popup on it.... 

Mudpie, (and other posters) it would help to have a general idea of where you are located.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 6/27/2012 11:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)