AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which is worse-drought or flood?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

chadincolo
Posted 6/26/2012 17:20 (#2451143 - in reply to #2450157)
Subject: Re: Which is worse-drought or flood?

Lander, WY
barker4650 - 6/25/2012 23:43

We have had 1.9 inches since the fist part of April.

It's all a matter of where you are...we've had about that much since last December. Like Mennoboy said, we get around 13 inches a year, flooding here is a temporary thing if we get a downpour. We cut 25 acres of grass hay and got 80 small square bales... That grass hasn't gotten an inch taller since we cut it. I've got millet in the ground that hasn't sprouted because the top 6 inches has no moisture in the ground at all...

I haven't heard anybody say they are adding cows...most are selling off cows and calves. If we don't get rain in the next week, even irrigated corn will start hurting bad... I think a lot of the dryland corn is gone already.

A car lost a tire on the highway south east of here yesterday afternoon and the sparks lit a fire. Less than 12 hours it burned 40,000 acres of tinder dry grass. Buddy of mine lost his house in the High Point fire, what they say on the news is pretty optimistic compared to what they are hearing on the ground...

Give me a flood over a drought...like I said, a flood is temporary "here", a couple days later and it's back to wondering when the next rain will be.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)