AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mag Light - Corroded Batteries
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 6/26/2012 10:07 (#2450691 - in reply to #2450570)
Subject: RE: Mag Light - Corroded Batteries

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

gmoney - 6/26/2012 07:50 Is there any hope on getting corroded batteries out of a mag light? This is one of the 4 or 5 D cell battery jobs, so would like to save it if possible vs. pay an arm and leg at the store for a new one. I was able to get the first three out by rapping the handle, but the next won't move. Any thoughts? WD40? Penetrating oil?

I worked for a long time on one mag light with corroded batteries, couldn't bring it back to life.  Battery manufacturers offer a warrenty, but I couldn't find what kind of batteries they were, so didn't send it in.

On a second mag light, I managed to use baking soda and bring it back to life.

A person should record the manufacturer of the batteries and the date they were installed, but I don't know anyone that orginized.  I have started using a laundry marker to write the date batteries are installed, helps me to evaluate the quality of the batteries.  I do that with squggly light bulbs that offer a long warrenty as well, but have never sent any back.  I have a few applications of the squiggly's that are left on all the time, find that they last almost exactly a year when on all the time, on average.  They are warrentied for 7 years, but I have never sent any back.  I find the LED lights work best and last longest, but have yet to find any LED that are bright enough for that application.  I have a few test LED's that have been in  24 hr/7 day service for over 4 years.  Just waiting for them to make any that produce enough light for that application.

Sorry for going off track on the flashlight question.  Mag lights are great, but expensive.  Too bad batteries aren't made as well.       

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)