AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats killing my kittens?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 6/24/2012 23:14 (#2448136 - in reply to #2444914)
Subject: Re: Whats killing my kittens?

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Sir - 6/24/2012 07:28

What ever is eating your cats, I want one. We have about 30 of those freeloaders around here and they're all on welfare.

Be careful what you ask for, you might get it ;-)

We got some disease in our farm cats about 20 years ago that about exterminated them.
Within a couple of years the place was overrun with gophers, rats, mice and nusance birds. We had a lot of trouble with chewed up wiring, upholstry, hoses, feed / seed sacks, stinking mouse / rat nests.
After that disease ran it's coarse, we got a barn cat population back on the farm. disease and coyotes seem to keep the cat population somewhere between 15 and 30, depending on how many kittens survive, but the place is nearly vermin free.
All I do to keep them is supply clean water and dry food to suppliment their hunting, It's money well spent for the good vermin control.
You have to be patient with the young ones, they (especially toms.) often do not become good hunters until 2 years old. The dry food and water keeps them healthy to make them want to hunt, They enjoy hunting and crave the meat, so that is hardwired into their heads.

Edited by Jon Hagen 6/24/2012 23:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)