AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When a tornado is threatning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

boa628
Posted 5/27/2012 10:18 (#2400382 - in reply to #2400187)
Subject: Re: When a tornado is threatning

SWOH
If we get a warning I'll send the wife and kids to the basement and I'll stay upstairs and watch the radar. Especially if it's after dark. It takes long enough to get 4 kids moving in the right direction that I fear if we waited until we absolutely had to take cover, everybody wouldn't make it. And I don't care how many times they issue a warning and nothing happens, if there's a warning we go to the basement. I'd rather be a little cautious than to wish later that I had been. The old coal bin has concrete top and bottom and all sides except for the door so if there ever actually is one we'll go in there. Otherwise we just hang out in the main room.

The thing I'm more concerned about is getting caught out in a field somewhere so whenever the sky darkens up I just do a quick survey of my surroundings and figure out where I need to head to if I see something coming. Or out around the farm, every now and then I think about where I would go...down in the well pit or the maintenance pit in the shop or under the scales or the access pit to pit auger at the grain bins...

It's good to have a plan. If you have a basement that would be the best place. And better yet under something sturdy in the basement like a stairway. And I've always heard it's best to be in the south west corner of the basement since that's the direction most tornadoes come from but I really don't know how true that is.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)