AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull Prices - Please Explain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

play in the dirt
Posted 5/7/2012 22:01 (#2373860 - in reply to #2373185)
Subject: RE: Bull Prices - Please Explain

south central IOWA
I would say demand is still fairly high around here for the year in whole. Lately, very high. We hadn't sold a bull in something like 3 weeks or so. We've sold 7 in the past 4 days and 2 people are still deciding. The super moon this weekend must have sparked something with the bull buyers. ;-)

To buy the bull I did private treaty I would hope I could find a place to pick 1 out of several Bismarck sons but would wager $3k or so but not more. More like around $2,500.

There's lots of information we go off of to determine prices for each individual bull, probably much like yourself. For a starting point we kind of go off of last years sales and demand. Last year we sold out early. So you could look at that as they were priced too cheap or you didn't save enough. So this year we raised both numbers. Haven't sold out yet but the season is not over with either plus I'm hoping we can keep a couple held over to be sold as 2 year olds next year since there is always demand for them.

There is also games being played with buyers and I can think of one large breeder that does it. I've never been to his place but the way I have been told is the bulls are listed as good, better, and best with 1 price set for each level. You can count on 1 hand how many good bulls there are, 2 hands for how many better ones, and the rest are all best bulls. I have really noticed this year how the buyers for our bulls are really drawn to ones that are priced a little higher. Granted they are better bulls but in years past you had to be careful about pricing a bull too high even though he may be best one because buyers would be turned off by that. Seems this year you can't price them high enough.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)