AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bull Prices - Please Explain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

RAFscott
Posted 5/7/2012 12:49 (#2373185 - in reply to #2373159)
Subject: RE: Bull Prices - Please Explain

Scottsboro, AL
I think I shake my head almost every time I buy something at an auction. I think that is the nature of the beast, the competition makes people a little less careful of their spending.

I guess it must have a lot to do with location, because at the beginning of last year, the majority of sales I went to, bulls where not selling very high in my opinion. That is one of the reasons I ended up with this bull. I went after a couple of the bred cow/calf pairs that I liked, but when this bull came through there was hardly any action so I snatched him up. Even so, last year I wouldn't have expected him to go more than $2000. So with sales averaging $3500 at the last sale you went to, is demand really that high right now?

I agree that most times you don't really know their worth until the animal is sold, but take the auction aspect out of it and say it is was a private treaty sale. Would you have expected to buy that bull for $3500 off the farm? If so, I have LOTS to learn.

I don't understand how seller's are determining these prices, and I guess that is what I am asking? What all information are you guys using when you determine the asking price for your bulls?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)