AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting back into regular rotational grazing (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/6/2012 12:09 (#2371301 - in reply to #2371235)
Subject: rotational grazing - water

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I'm not sure I understand your question. I don't have a pond. My main water on this side of the farm is a Peterson concrete waterer. They have access to it behind them from this pasture. They have to walk back maybe 1/8 mile down the hill through what has already been grazed.

When I shift them over to the adjacent and parallel pasture to come back there is a 10 ft wide semi permanent lane made by two single hot wires on tee and rebar posts.  I have a lot of slinky gates that I use to direct traffic.

I originally looked at putting more watering points out but that is just too expensive in this rocky hill ground. I put a couple more plastic waterers in different pastures but only so I can maintain different groups in different areas.

Some folks have said I need to give new cattle a map reading test!  But they follow a couple smarter lead cows and figure it out. 

I feel Herefords are especially suited to this sort of system. I've culled some early wild ones and this group is pretty easy going. As you can see in the picture they don't get to riled up about anything and seem to be pretty patient. Even the calves are learning the drill.

If you are saying they are going out in a pond and around a post to different pastures maybe you need to fence in a smaller access area to the pond. They should not be going around fences - a bad habit for them to get into.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/6/2012 14:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)