AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about Shank type strip till or coulter type Jim @ Dawn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KSdeerhuntr
Posted 5/5/2012 17:02 (#2370150 - in reply to #2367634)
Subject: Re: Question about Shank type strip till or coulter type Jim @ Dawn

Thanks for the response Jim. We no-till as much as we can on our soybean and milo acres, but I like to strip till for corn. I like the soil warm up, and consistent seed bed that it provides, uniformity is so important on corn. We plan on renting a low disturbance sidedressing rig this year to apply NH3 to our notill milo ground before planting and then shifting the planter over fifteen inches and plant. So we will see how that works out. I have read many articles on the importance of planting directly over the NH3 band, but am scared of seedling burn on the milo of applying 80 units of N 5 inches deep or so a month ahead of planting. What research have you seen and been involved with regarding the closeness of the seed to the NH3 band? Should we maybe just shift over a few inches and plant?
Back to the corn, I would prefer, on our heavy ground, only making one trip over the field to apply all the N. So could we use the pluribus in the fall with 200 units of N six inches deep , make a berm, and be ok to plant come spring? Or is it a better idea to split apply? Thanks again
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)