AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dumb Questions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LKM
Posted 5/5/2012 11:17 (#2369823 - in reply to #2369808)
Subject: Re: Dumb Questions?

Ridgway, IL
In addition to the efficiency benefits... i believe the runoff management is a big cause for the constuction of covered facilities. I am/will be a new cattle feeder this year, and am planning to construct a small cattle feeding facility. I am in the permitting process currently, and have learned from my local soil and water conservation department that one way or another the runoff from that facility has to be contained... there are a couple ways to do that, 1 with settling basins and filter strips, or 2 with a covered facility. There is some additional cost to put a roof over it, but the value of the farmground required for the filter strips/basins makes the roof look a lot more practical.

Had it not been for the requirement to manage this runoff, i would have just been building an open concrete lot. The weather here in southern illinois is pretty mild compared to what you northern guys have to deal with. So i don't know if we'll see quite as much efficiency improvement like others would?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)