AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Since everyone is all fired up over autosteers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mlswaar
Posted 4/14/2012 15:17 (#2335903 - in reply to #2335448)
Subject: RE: Since everyone is all fired up over autosteers

Mason City, IL
Here's my take on the subject. I had used omnistar hp for several years prior. Worked great for spraying, planting etc. using a easy-steer system. The old easi-steer I had would not do curves worth a tinker, so I upgraded to rtk with integrated steering. The pros to the easy-steer/hp system is the lower cost to get pretty good accuracy. Cons to it were not doing a curve well and the horrible amount of time to get convergence. Most times it would follow well on flat ground with the fall strips the coop did for me. I did not have a big enough tractor to strip tll 16 rows. I did have to nudge the line at times to keep on last falls strips. I now use rtk/integra/paradyme system. It does curves well, I like the smart path option for my terraces, can save the line and use with the combine if needed, I did use it some last year and worked with combine pretty well. I will tell you though that I still have to nudge the line some to keep the planter on the fall strip. It seems to draft a bit differently, especially on slopes than the anhydrous bar did, so I still have to nudge the line back and forth some. With rtk and an ab line I can now engage auto steer as I come around a turn and let it finish the entry better than I could with the easy-steer system. With the easy-steer I had to be back around and lined up very close, or it would wander around a lot before getting straight. I much prefer the rtk system however just for the faster convergence time if I loose signal staying under a tree line to long. I keep markers on planter incase some component dumps and I still want to plant. Hp will do what you want if you do not need the repeatabily from 1 yr to the next. I still prefer to manually steer the combine in corn most of the time but am surprised how well it steered to the row I saved from planting last year. On soybeans I can't wait until the field is opened up and I set an ab line and let the auto steer do its thing. I know I get more done and keep a full header at all times with it. Just my observations, O, I do like the auto swath boom control I added last year for spraying.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)