AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GPS - What do I need?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 4/13/2012 21:50 (#2334940 - in reply to #2334768)
Subject: RE: GPS - What do I need?

West Union, Illinois

A few years ago I told a technology rep (they can't be called salesmen) I didn't know what the acronyms meant or the terms to use. I wanted to be able to plant female rows, come back and plant male rows, come back and culivate or spray, and be in the right place.  He said "No problem, it will cost $xx,xxx."

I also learned talking to more than one salesman technology rep will give you a headache.

I think total cost is going to depend on the tractor.  For instance, we just traded for a 275 Magnum.  We were looking at the tractor and I told the salesman I wanted to be able to (see above). "No Problem.  Let's go see the tech guy"  Tech guy said I had several options. Bottom line, I could go with the Trimble 750

and RTX for about $10,000 less than the other system.  It is supposed to be accurate to about  an inch and a half.  It drives straighter and closer to where the tractor should be than I do. I have to subscribe to a service. I give them a credit card number, they charge it for $1650 a year, and everything works like it ought to.

Something else I learned is the phrase "autosteer ready" is worth $5,000.  We put autosteer in the 275 for $10,000 or less.  When I first started looking at things like this the number was closer to $40,000 and I couldn't make the numbers work.  I'm still not sure I can, but if I am going to keep growing a specialty crop I am going to have to have it.

Easy to use?  No problem.  I put my son-in-law in the tractor and went and did something else. I have ridden in it in the field.  Drove it down the road once.  It works great! He pushes this button 

and it works.

Just don't ask me which button. 

Edited by Mike SE IL 4/13/2012 21:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)