AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Most reliable Push Mower????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 4/9/2012 15:30 (#2328121 - in reply to #2327894)
Subject: RE: Most reliable Push Mower????

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
I have never had a problem with Briggs & Stratton engines, and look for that brand when looking at new.
Best bang for the buck. The small block Chevy of lawn / garden engines in my opinion. There is a reason they have owned that market for 70 years.

look for a cast alumimum mower deck, much more rigid and durable than stamped steel.
For an engine, even if you go with the cheap $100 "classic" B&S flathead. Keep it full of reasonably clean Mobil 1 brand 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic oil, keep the air cleaner and cooling fins clean, use only E3 brand sparkplugs, and keep the mower inside, or atleast cover the engine with a large overturned tub to keep the rain and sun off of it. With decent care it will last 20 years.
For mowing in tight places, I still have a pair of Lawnboy aluminum frame, 2 cycle lawn mowers.
Two bad you cant buy the 2 cycle lawn boys anymore. As long as you keep the primer bulb in good shape, they are reliable starting and running mowers if you use Briggs & Stratton 2 cycle oil with the fuel conditioner.. I like them for mowing steep ditch banks. Most 4 cycle engines will push out motor oil at that steep angle, while it does not bother a 2 cycle at all.

Edited by Jon Hagen 4/10/2012 18:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)