AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Triticale for silage--disease question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 4/7/2012 14:05 (#2325270 - in reply to #2325071)
Subject: Re: Triticale for silage--disease question

Faunsdale, AL
I would have chopped it before it booted if I could have gotten in to do it. Just too wet at the time, and the different varieties were so far apart in maturity that it would have been cutting the 2700 before it even came out of it's winter dormancy (if small grains do such a thing). We had a mild winter here, but he 342 grew all winter. Some of it had headed out and got killed by a late freeze in February. I don't think it's the one for us. It's the one that gets all the good press here, but for doing what I'm wanting, the 2700 looks like it fits better.

Anyway, first time growing this stuff, so I don't know how big it's supposed to get. I was told is to either cut before it boots for best quality/milk production or if you can't do that, wait until soft dough for maximum tonnage and engergy/acre. Not any advantage to chop in between those two stages because once it makes a head, the fiber comes up, but until the head fills, the energy from the grain isn't there yet. It makes sense to me and I am going to need the tonnage if there will be any grain in this. 40 years ago we used to chop wheat in the soft dough. Usually just direct cut it, didn't need to wilt it or anything, but unless the Claas can direct cut this with a RU450, we'll have to swath it and pick it up right behind.

I guess this is rust? Got oats that were in the first round of the drill along the edge of the field that are perfect, no spots at all. Field of wheat is a quarter mile away and it looks perfect. Maybe I better go scout it closely. It's putting up heads now.

Thanks for your help!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)