AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My horse pulled up lame (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 4/6/2012 23:33 (#2324643)
Subject: My horse pulled up lame (pics)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

Seeding came to a halt on Tuesday. Front idler bearing shelled. Spent Wednesday getting the idler and hub off.
Good idler
Book said to de-tension track and remove, then remove idler. I thought this was worth a try . . .
It loosened the track on the inside idler so I was able to remove and work on the bearings.
Axle
I had to cut the race to remove it -- not a big deal. Axle looks OK as does the seal ramp. Ordered parts Thursday and most of them showed up today -- new hub will be here Monday and we'll start putting it back together.
While waiting on parts, I spent some time reading on Duo-cone seals. I've never tangled with one of them, so this will be something new for me. According to the books, it looks like proper tooling is the key to success when installing. Cut off a chunk from a length of sched. 80 6" pipe  and worked it over to make an installer.
Installer
First I trued up the ends of the pipe and then split it, made it a bit larger diameter and added keying components. Then I machined a step in the end that fit the face of the sealing ring. When I had that at the proper depth, I welded a plate of 14 ga sheet to the end. Machined away the center and trued the face that will push the toric ring onto the ramp of the housing. Between the thickness of the pushing ring and the depth of the groove, the distance turned out to be .303" which just so happens to be the specified Assembled Height for this size seal.
So it's necessary to be able to take this ring apart to remove the tool once the seal is properly installed.
Installer halves
Since the pipe was already split and indexed, all I had to do was make two small cuts with a hacksaw in the installer ring and it came in two pieces so the seal and ring could be inserted.
And here it is, ready to be installed.
Installer  
I think (hope) it will work. Cold and windy with possible blizzard forecast until after Easter, so we'll see what happens Monday.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)