AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do Equipment Dealers Know, If I Buy From A Different Dealer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 4/3/2012 09:42 (#2319112 - in reply to #2318944)
Subject: Re: Do Equipment Dealers Know, If I Buy From A Different Dealer?

I live right on the border of two states, well JD tells me that I can buy a new/used machine from any of their dealers, and I can buy parts from any of them over the counter. But if I try to order next day air parts to be dropped shipped to farm it has to run though the dealership that is in Utah. I've been told and shown a letter from Mother Deere, that no other Deere dealer can drop ship parts to customers in other areas, except in Nevada where there is no dealer support.

So all these Deere dealers are within a 40 to 70 mile radius to me, It really doesn't matter witch one I have to drive to purchase parts as far as actual expense of mileage. What makes the difference is if I have someone in that area for the day that can pick the part up for me. This dealership that was the closest was losing sales big time because they became crooks, so even people in Utah were have dealers in Idaho ship next day air to them. Until this dealership complained to Mother Deere, so Mother Deere slapped the hands of their other dealers told them they couldn't sell to them.

So I have no loyalty to a Deere dealer, they have none to me to get my machine running with less down time, and a more fairer price for parts. The closest dealer was jacking prices up because they thought they had a captive market. Well all that did was drive customers away, and to other brands. Deere doesn't care, they also don't care what they do to their own dealers. I've seen over the years were Mother Deere put the screws to their own dealers, so why wouldn't they do it to their customers? I saw Mother Deere stick a dealer, made them install a $100,000+ computer system one year, them the next year it was obsolete. They had to junk it, that didn't help the smaller dealership. They couldn't pass that cost on to customers. This was when the push come to consolidate dealerships, I remember the manager telling me, they went to a dealers meeting. They got handed a piece of paper, was told to write down at end of meeting if they were going to buy or sell their dealership. They were forcing consolidation, and fast, it has been around 12 to 15 years now if I can remember right.

I painted my CIH 7110 tractor, it had faded bad. Well the dealer I had bought it from pulled into the yard, and complained about me trading tractors without calling them! I told him to go read serial number, it was the machine I had bought from them, he didn't believe me! That salesman was a real jerk that day, it wasn't the salesman I had bought it from, he had left the company. So that dealership has quit sending their sales, support people out in the area. Well another CIH dealer that is further away started coming out every other week, offering parts delivery, etc., well guess what I've switched over to them because it saves me time, and they listen to me, and my needs.

All these dealers want your business, but very few want to service you. Heaven forbid a salesman stop once every two years. If you don't roll tractors every year, they don't think you exist. The biggest gripe I have is a mega dealer won't have a part in stock, they want to order it for me on stock order. Well they wouldn't check their sister store that is only 60 + miles away that has the part. I could have the part in my hands in less than two hours, but the their so called smart parts people want me to wait a few days! You have to beg them to check inventory of surrounding dealers for the parts to get you running, just better for you to call on your own. That isn't customer support in my mind.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)